by Ed Bednarczyk
The “City of Light Health and Ministry Center” is a place where faith, ethics, science, service, healthcare, education, ministry, encouragement, and inspiration all come together in one place.
My hope and vision is that this new center will provide all health professionals, students, pastors, and others, a place for:
• Inspiration and worship
• Networking and connecting with one another
• Encouragement and uplifting
• Spiritual and emotional renewal
• Preparation for serving others through healthcare missions – locally and globally
• Individual life coaching, career guidance, and counseling
• Resources (i.e., meds and supplies for medical/dental mission trips, and info about faith and health)
• Educational seminars about topics related to enhancing patient care and self-care through faith, whole-person healthcare, relationships, and service
• A place where those who are hurting can come to receive love, and physical, emotional, social, and spiritual help and encouragement
• Advocacy for those who are being discriminated against and treated unjustly, especially when it comes to access to quality healthcare and systemic racism
Some Specific Ministries:
1. Students and Residents
Provide interested students, residents, and others with encouragement, mentorship, social activities, and education about medical missions and the role of faith in healthcare.
2. Medical Missions
Work with students to collect medications and medical/dental supplies for teams to take overseas. Develop a helpful resource center for people to come learn about global health and get connected with other individuals and organizations involved with medical missions both locally and internationally.
3. Community Connection and Support
• Assist with developing small group Bible studies.
• Partner with individuals and organizations to offer support groups to those facing challenges, such as GreifShare, DivorceCare, CancerCare, Caregiving, Chronic Pain, Addictions, Side By Side (support for spouses of healthcare students, residents & professionals), etc.
• Assist with encouraging, coaching, mentoring healthcare professionals.
4. Education and Inspiration
Teach about and motivate others to enhance patient care and self-care through faith using the bio-psycho-social-spiritual model of care.
5. Embrace Recovery
• Provide training to those interested in becoming recovery coaches.
• Provide opportunities for recovery coaches to come along side and support those struggling with addictions who would like a coach.
• Provide resources for recovery coaches and those struggling with addictions, such as the Life Recovery Bible, workbooks, and journals.
Work with others in the community to advocate for effective ways to combat racism, care for those looked down upon in society, and improve access to quality healthcare.
Partner with other organizations involved with faith/healthcare and support their efforts by providing office space and meeting rooms.
Interested in supporting the center or getting more involved? Click here to learn more or donate today.